Sunday, August 15, 2010

The pleat/pencil skirt

I am done! DONE I am telling you! Here is a little flash forward to the end result...

Let's rewind... Why this project? 1)When I decided to start this blog, I had traveled on the world wide web to look at a few blogs. Then, I clicked on links and links and links and I ended up on GREAT blogs. I discovered that sewing was also paying attention to details.  2) I got really inspired. I am also currently going to a few job interviews and in need of corporate kind of clothing. 3) I watched Tim Gunn's TV show and it struck me that I didn't have any pencil skirt, one of his essentials. 4) In the last BURDASTYLE I purchased, they actually had one in the plus size department, that could hide my fatty bits. SO, I HAD TO DO THIS ONE!

I wanted to do it properly, especially as I got a GREAT fabric for it, way more expensive then usual. I is wool, and a little stretchy. A dark grey.  For the lining, I chose a deep dark red color. The contrast is so so so nice. I have some leftover that I kept for later to make a cute little vest. In previous posts, you can see the first steps.

Today, I have sewn in the lining. Sadly, the pattern of the front didn't correspond to the measurements so I had to undo the foldings. I kind of fixed it with a double face iron on tape on the inside bit of the lining. I think it'll be fine.

My boyfriend even took a few pictures while I was sewing around the slit...

Focused eh? Anyway, here are the photos of the finished skirt. Enjoy!


Here you go. I hope you like it! Next is... A shirt dress with a Burberry kind of fabric! I cannot wait!

6 comments:

  1. I love the red lining! Such a Louboutin twist..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just need the shoes to go with it now :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt is soooooo cute! I was just looking at pencil skirt patterns today and none of them were cute enough. This one, though is magical!! Great job, looks adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the asymmetrical pleats. I like your action shot, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Aurora: That is also why I like this one! I think that in the december issue of burda 2009, they have a non plus-size version...
    @Lizajane: I think that the fact I have a blog amuses my boyfriend immensely! Therefore, he participates with photos!A LOT of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my- Have I just finally stumbled upon a plus size sewing blog- praise the lord! Praise Allah! Praise it all! I've been looking for this kind of blog for awhile...thank you for blogging about these adventures in sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails