Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Chevron Poncho or Burda's Return


I started sewing 4 years ago. All I knew back then was that I could find patterns in Burda magazines. I knew that because my Grand-Ma (a seamstress) had them lying around when I was little. I remember sitting with her and not understanding why she kept on looking into the centerfold (with the technical drawings) and not at the pretty pictures with the nice ladies. Of course, I understand now !

In the last 4 years, I started using Burda patterns, and than I discovered a broader world, little by little. I started leaving Burda patterns aside for Vogue, Colette and other shiny ones. Well, in the past months, I kept on going back to the Burdas for inspiration and I have not been disappointed. When I first looked at the October edition, I fell in love with the Poncho.




I needed a nice and cosy poncho for Monday mornings. At work, the heating is law during the week end. It means that on Mondays and everymorning, I feel quite cold. I already wanted to make a color block snuggly top and the Burda arrived right on time ! I used cashmere wool in camel and black. I played around with various trimmings but in the end, I chose to leave it fringes out of the project. And that was a great choice !



This pattern only comes up to the size 44 so I had to upgrade a little. It's a very easy pattern. Basically one front piece and one back piece. Both divided in chevrons blocks. Upgrading did not affect the matching points. That was what worried me the most. The fabric was quite thick but with a lot of steam pressing, there is no bulk.



All in all, I am super happy with the result. The poncho is in my desk drawer and saves my life on cold mornings.







I have more Burda things coming, but also some Colettes and Vogues :)



5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the poncho! Great colorcombo and it's gorgeous on you! Got to sew one myself one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely and really flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great … and perfect points on the corners! I love a poncho for the cold weather – keeps you warm without loads of added bulk on the arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, the picture of the original poncho did not thrill me. But your version? It looks warm and sophisticated and makes me want one too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so sophisticated in black and camel! I love seeing other people take a pattern I completely passed by and make it into something I want to steal. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails