It was SO fun and interesting to discover how this coat was made! To start, it took a "few" hours to carefully rip the stitches of the lining. I started with the hem, which was especially tricky around the back slit (I cannot wait to hand sew that bit...). After that, I did the seam between the arms and the body. And so on...
|Can't you see the joy?|
|There was a thicker thread to secure the lining body to the wool around the arm holes|
After everything was ripped out, I separated the different pieces: 2 for each arm, 1 for each front, the back that has two different halves. I just had to iron them and trace the seam lines with chalk.
|Back: middle pleat, slit and a weird asymmetry...|
|Front: two darts and a welt pocket. There is also a pleat for ease near the arms.|
I loved seeing that result! It was almost like magic! I just had to trace the pattern on paper! My Mister said that I could even re-use the pattern in the future to do the lining again... Hum, let's hope not!
|You gotta love the ninja sweater that makes me look like 50 pounds bigger! But it is sooo comfy and warm!|
After doing this, I took a look at the "naked coat". And it was so interesting! The interfacing was different then what I would have expected...
|The outside, with pins where the buttons are meant to go.|
|Front pocket and front interfacing: you can see the front dart and a fused interfacing. It felt thick and fluffy. Some parts of it were hand sewn, but less then what I would have expected.|
|The back slit: reinforced with fusible interfacing.|
|The back view of the shoulder: fusible interfacing, and two layers of padding, they were hand-sewn.|
Once again, that was very interesting, but it does not mean that I would do it very often... Those first stages were fun, but after this, it gets a bit more tricky! AAaaaaaaaaargh, welt inside pockets, with lining fabric! Terror!
See you soon ;)