Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Liberty version of Rachel Comey

Fall is here and this is my first fall project!

Earlier this year, Mister brought back some beautiful Liberty prints from London. I have trained him well! One of the fabrics her got me is this beautiful Jack and Charlie Tana Lawn. When you see it from afar, it looks like a simple polka dot print, but it draws you in because from up close, you can see cute pears. It is a beautiful delicate cotton and the quality of the print is beautiful.



I have been waiting some time for the perfect pattern. I wanted to use these 2 meters to make a simple dress that has something special. I found happiness in the last fall collection from Vogue patterns: a really cool Rachel Comey dress: V1350Lined dress has yoke fronts extending into sleeves, close-fitting bodice with side back seams, raised waist, semi-fitted skirt, side front extends to lower side back, no side seams, mock front bands, and concealed snap closingI particularly like the neckline and the sleeves. I was also intrigued by the curved side seam on the skirt.


After my usual upgrading, I had to make a couple of adjustments. First, and almost as usual, I had to remove ease along the front neckline. Second, I had to raise the lower back seam. Surprisingly, the curved seam was quite easy to sew. You cannot really see it on the finished dress but it's quite a cool line. I really love this dress and it is my fall staple. The lining makes it warmer. It looks great with or without belts, cardigans, and a variety of stockings colors!




The princess seam on the back was quite tricky. The point had to be sewn in was the patch method. This is the first time I attempted it. The result is not too bad! You can see some of the patch fabric a the point but it's still good. If one of you has tips to get it in a smoother way, please let me know. I will try to do better next time.


I also decided to strengthen the armholes with bias inside the seam. I also used the same bias at the waistline. I wanted it rest better at my waist. I love the feel of it nicely snug. It makes the dress feel more precious.



I also love the lining. I avoided bright colors. I did not want a bright orange to peek through because I am planning on wearing bright stockings with this dress and I don't want any clash.



A few more close ups below. I always like how lined garments look like inside out!




8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love it SO MUCH. Mister did so well, when he brought this fabric back for you. It's absolutely gorgeous! I would never have though to try the Rachel Comey pattern, but it looks smashing on you. It's going to look amazing with bright tights. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! And the fabric is awesome as well! I love your version better than the Vogue one. I have this pattern for sometime and you make me want to start working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric, it's gorgeous, and the v neck bodice is such a lovely shape. One of my favourite things about reading sewing blogs is that you get to see amazing garments made up from patterns you wouldn't look at twice in the shop .... I guess it's a matter of seeing beyond the drawing to the structure. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I'm so impressed. I'm larger than the pattern sizes and completely in awe of folks like you who can and do grade the patterns up to fit. I don't feel remotely qualified to do that! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I'm a brand new sewer, so I have a lot to learn. Just found your blog today and wanted you to know you have a new follower who has a) a lot of catching up to do, and b) hopes you keep posting! So excited to find plus sized patterns that don't look like paper bags with sleeves! Love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have a few questions. What size are you? I am plus sized and can never get a smooth look in a dress. I always look lumpy. Also, how did you get your start sewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I am a 22 (US) at the bust (as per Vogue patterns) but I need to upgrade 1 size at the waist and hips. I try to make muslins to avoid the lumpiness. There is always a couple of small and easy adjustments that can make a huge difference. I started sewing when I was between jobs, 4 years ago. I improvised a Halloween costume and then I got a sewing machine and I started reading blogs, Burdastyle, and sewing magazines (Burda, Ottobre, Knipmode etc.)

      Delete
  7. Wow this looks fantabulous! The print on the fabric is so sweet! And the dress looks fab on you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails